[KFCF Friends] KFCF Marathon, the Pacifica lawsuits and the Banquet

subs-admin@kfcf.org subs-admin@kfcf.org
Sat Nov 3 20:30:01 2001

------=_NextPart_000_011B_01C164A6.3BB6A9A0

Sat. Nov 3, 2001

Hi folks. Lots of news to catch up on.

Today we began our KFCF marathon, asking for your donations to keep KFCF =
alive and bringing you our local programming and programs from KPFA. =
During this time of crisis, it is more critical than ever to keep KFCF =
broadcasting, so take a few minutes and call 559-323-2765 with your =
pledge of support. We can bill you or accept Visa or Mastercard.

KPFA, for various reasons, has had to delay their fund drive. They had =
no drive co-ordinator, a  war broke out , and a general feeling of not =
wanting to support Pacifica were factors in the lack of a drive. .

KFCF, meanwhile, has not received any funds from the last pledge drive =
since the June numbers were crunched. Part of this was because Pacifica =
had taken away's KPFA's checkbook and was raiding it to pay for lawyers, =
etc, rather than the things the money was raised for; like paying PG&E, =
staff and bills and KFCF. Pledges that were raised through KPFA had =
traditionally been returned to KFCF to support our costs.
Unfortunately, Pacifica's National Board was driving themselves into =
bankruptcy.

So, since we didn't know where things were going and we were facing our =
own financial crisis, we decided to begin a pledge drive today, with =
support from the KPFA staff, our local board, staff and volunteers. Even =
Amy Goodman has agreed to do pledge breaks for KFCF, since KFCF's =
satellite link that feeds KPFA, Berkeley to Fresno has been being used =
to distribute Democracy Now! in Exile  to community radio stations =
around the country in light of Pacifica's refusing to carry Democracy =
Now!

So we hope you'll bear with us as we try to insert a pledge drive into =
programming that isn't being designed around a pledge drive. We'll try =
not to step on the News, etc as we do it and hope you'll be =
understanding of the challenges we face.

In the meantime, it appears that a settlement has been reached in the =
various lawsuits against the Pacifica National Board. Due to agreed upon =
mediation restrictions, both sides cannot reveal details until after it =
has been signed off on. Hopefully we'll all be hearing good news on this =
front, and I'm sure we'll hear some interesting things from Carol =
Spooner, the lead plaintiff in the lawsuits against Pacifica when she =
speaks at the Fresno Free College Foundation/KFCF Annual Banquet this =
Friday. A number of people from the KPFA staff will be joining us. For =
details on the banquet see www.kfcf.org . (and yes our website is back =
up after a serious power failure and server crash. Thanks to Tim Pozar =
and Brian Clayton for the extra effort they expended to get it fixed!)

If the mediation settlement is signed off on this week, it's possible =
that KPFA will begin a fund drive as early as Thursday. Whether the =
drive is local or from Berkeley, take a few moments and call =
559-323-2765 and make your pledge to keep KFCF alive! And we look =
forward to seeing many of you at the Banquet this Friday!

Thanks for your support on behalf of the Board and Staff,

Rychard Withers
President , Fresno Free College Foundation/KFCF

Rych Withers

Pledge Number

559-323-2765

Subscription Rates

Sustaining Rate $88/year*

(A thousand subs like this equals our annual budget)

Basic Subscription $25/year=20

(minimum to qualifie a person for FFCF membership and voting benefits)

Adopt-A-Watt $35/year

(KFCF @ 2500 watts x $35/yr =3D KFCF annual budget)

Supporting Rate $50

Free Speech Defender $100*

(A pass to 4 KFCF events**)

*Free KFCF tee-shirt for $88/year or more

**Includes speakers, music or films - not Banquet

------=_NextPart_000_011B_01C164A6.3BB6A9A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sat. Nov 3, 2001</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi folks. Lots of news to catch up =
on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today we began our KFCF marathon, =
asking for your=20
donations to keep KFCF alive and bringing you our local programming and =
programs=20
from KPFA. During this time of crisis, it is more critical than ever to =
keep=20
KFCF broadcasting, so take a few minutes and call 559-323-2765 with your =
pledge=20
of support. We can bill you or accept Visa or Mastercard.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>KPFA, for various reasons, has had to =
delay their=20
fund drive. They had no drive co-ordinator,&nbsp;a &nbsp;war broke out , =
and a=20
general feeling of not wanting to support Pacifica were factors in the =
lack of a=20
drive. .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>KFCF, meanwhile, has not received any =
funds from=20
the last pledge drive since the June numbers were crunched. Part of this =
was=20
because Pacifica had taken away's KPFA's checkbook and was raiding it to =
pay for=20
lawyers, etc, rather than the things the money was raised for; like =
paying=20
PG&amp;E, staff and bills and KFCF. Pledges that were raised through =
KPFA had=20
traditionally been returned to KFCF to support our costs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unfortunately, Pacifica's National =
Board was=20
driving themselves into bankruptcy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, since we didn't know where things =
were going=20
and we were facing our own financial crisis, we decided to begin a =
pledge drive=20
today, with support from the KPFA staff, our local board, staff and =
volunteers.=20
Even Amy Goodman has agreed to do pledge breaks for KFCF, since KFCF's =
satellite=20
link that feeds KPFA, Berkeley to Fresno has been being used to =
distribute=20
Democracy Now! in Exile &nbsp;to community radio stations around the =
country in=20
light of Pacifica's refusing to carry Democracy Now!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So we hope you'll bear with us as we =
try to insert=20
a pledge drive into programming that isn't being designed around a =
pledge drive.=20
We'll try not to step on the News, etc as we do it and hope you'll be=20
understanding of the challenges we face.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the meantime, it appears that a =
settlement has=20
been reached in the various lawsuits against the Pacifica National =
Board. Due to=20
agreed upon mediation restrictions, both sides cannot reveal details =
until after=20
it has been signed off on. Hopefully we'll all be hearing good news on =
this=20
front, and I'm sure we'll hear some interesting things from Carol =
Spooner, the=20
lead plaintiff in the lawsuits against Pacifica when she speaks at the =
Fresno=20
Free College Foundation/KFCF Annual Banquet this Friday. A number of =
people from=20
the KPFA staff&nbsp;will be joining us. For details on the banquet see =
<A=20
href=3D"http://www.kfcf.org">www.kfcf.org</A> . (and yes our website is =
back up=20
after a serious power failure and server crash. Thanks to Tim Pozar and =
Brian=20
Clayton&nbsp;for the extra effort they expended to get it =
fixed!)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the mediation settlement is signed =
off on this=20
week, it's&nbsp;possible that KPFA will begin a fund drive as early as =
Thursday.=20
Whether the drive is local or from Berkeley, take a few moments and call =

559-323-2765 and make your pledge to keep KFCF alive! And we look =
forward to=20
seeing many of you at the Banquet this Friday!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for your support on behalf of =
the Board and=20
Staff,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rychard Withers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>President , Fresno Free College=20
Foundation/KFCF</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rych Withers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><U><FONT size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Pledge Number</STRONG></P></U>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT><FONT size=3D7>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>559-323-2765</STRONG></P></FONT><U><FONT =
size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Subscription Rates</STRONG></P></U>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Sustaining Rate =
$88/year*</STRONG></P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>(</STRONG></FONT><STRONG><FONT size=3D5>A =
thousand subs=20
like this equals our annual budget</FONT><FONT =
size=3D5>)</P></FONT></STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Basic Subscription $25/year =
</STRONG></P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>(minimum to qualifie a person for FFCF =
membership and=20
voting benefits)</STRONG></P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT><FONT size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Adopt-A-Watt $35/year</STRONG></P></FONT><FONT =
size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>(KFCF @ 2500 watts x $35/yr =3D KFCF annual=20
budget)</STRONG></P></FONT><FONT size=3D6>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Supporting Rate $50</STRONG></P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Free Speech Defender =
$100*</STRONG></P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>(A pass to 4 KFCF =
events**</STRONG></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D6><STRONG>)</STRONG></P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT><FONT size=3D5>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>*Free KFCF tee-shirt for $88/year or =
more</STRONG></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>**Includes speakers, music or films - <U>not=20
Banquet</U></STRONG></P></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P align=3Dcenter>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_011B_01C164A6.3BB6A9A0--