[KFCF Friends] KFCF Streaming and archives

KFCF Subscribers & Friends list subs at mail.kfcf.org
Sun Jul 15 02:40:20 PDT 2007

KFCF has stopped our web streaming as of July 15.  It was a very
difficult decision to make, but I felt it was important to keep us from
exposure to possible legal action.  Most of the attention to this issue
is focused on the new and higher fees imposed by the recording industry
(Soundexchange) .  The higher fees are probably not the biggest problem
for us, but the reporting requirements present a major challenge.  There
are a lot of questions and few answers at this point.  But here are some
things we do know:

This has nothing to do with the costs of streaming. This has to do with
reporting and displaying meta information about the recordings on our
web site in real time (as it is being streamed).  We also have to file a
report documenting a range of information about every piece of music
(copyrighted music that is) on our web stream for a two week period
every quarter. KFCF does not fall under any of the
contracts/negotiations with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, NPR
or the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System, all of whom are in
negotiations with the record companies.The National Federation of
Community Broadcasters has asked to have non-CPB stations included under
the CPB agreement, but at this time we are not covered under the CPB.

Since KFCF does not have the technology or a process in place to meet
the requirements and KFCF is likely on the radar of SoundExchange, it
would be in the best interests in stopping the stream and archives until
KFCF can work out the processes to meet the requirements.

The process that needs to be developed is not an easy one and we will
need to spend time in developing software to support the requirements.

At this point we have an average of 1 to 4 concurrent listeners. Since
the service is very lightly used, it was seen as the impact to our
listeners is light compared to the impact KFCF could encounter with a
law suit.

We are looking at ways to resolve this this problem, and will let you
know how things are going.  In the meantime please feel free to let me
know your ideas and views about this situation by sending a message to
"vic at kfcf dot org" or "rwithers at kfcf dot org"   While many
stations are going to continue streaming until there is some decision,
but we just don't want to take a chance on not getting caught doing
something that could cause problems for us down the road.

KPFA may still be streaming and archiving certain shows at this time, as
they are CPB qualified, so feel free to check out www.kpfa.org

Rych Withers
President Fresno Free College Foundation/KFCF