[KFCF Friends] (no subject)

KFCF Subscribers & Friends list subs at mail.kfcf.org
Mon Aug 22 17:13:14 PDT 2005

As many of you know, the KPFA Local Station Board was tasked by outgoing
Pacifica Executive Director Dan Coughlin with evaluating KFPFA General
Manager Roy Campanella II's performance since being hired November 14,
2004.  After a very a long and arduous series of meetings, the LSB has
completed its review. The LSB may yet decide to release more information
regarding its decision, but until then we appreciate your patience and
understanding in light of privacy, liability and confidentiality
concerns. Attached is a press release from the LSB chair, Rosalinda
Montes Palacios.

Debbie Speer
KFCF board rep to KPFA Local Station Board

8/22/05
Statement from Rosalinda Montes Palacios, chair of the KPFA Local
Station Board, regarding the status of KPFA's General Manager

In the executive session that ended on August 20th, 2005, KPFA's Local
Station Board concluded its deliberations regarding the performance of
KPFA's General Manager, Roy Campanella II.

KPFA's Local Station Board considered several alternative motions in
this regard. The first, a motion to terminate the employment of KPFA's
General Manager, was defeated. The board also defeated a motion to make
that decision by secret ballot, and subsequently approved a motion to
make public the details of who voted how. Those details will be
published at www.kpfa.org when the Local Station Board approves the
minutes of that executive session, which can happen no sooner than our
next regular meeting, scheduled for September 17, 2005, at 11 a.m.

KPFA's Local Station Board has made alternative recommendations
regarding the status of the General Manager to Pacifica's Interim
Executive Director, Ambrose Lane. The Local Station Board has not yet
voted to make those recommendations public. Although the bylaws of the
Pacifica Foundation allow KPFA's Local Station Board to initiate
termination of its General Manager, they give the Executive Director the
exclusive right to take any disciplinary action short of termination.

The LSB’s deliberations spanned nine meetings over the course of three
months.   I'm sure that we are all glad to have this phase completed.

As we move forward, I hope the board can focus its productive energies
on its bylaws-mandated responsibilities, including approval of KPFA's
2006 budget and completion of an annual performance review of the
General Manager.

Through decades of internal crises, KPFA has remained a thriving
platform for independent in-depth news, arts, music, and public affairs
programming. The Board must move forward with its mandate to oversee
that work and adhere to the vision of peace and dialogue that began with
Lewis Hill more than 56 years ago.