[KFCF Friends] Democracy Now time change -- input needed

subs at mail.kfcf.org subs at mail.kfcf.org
Fri May 7 13:35:49 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Over the last several months, the KPFA Program Council has been debating
a move of Democracy Now! into a higher-profile "drive time" slot. The
decision to make a time change was approved by the council sometime last
fall but the implementation of the change was stopped when former
station manager Gus Newport resigned.

This weekend a special meeting has been called for the KPFA board to
vote on whether to direct Jim Bennett to implement last fall's Program
Council decision to move Democracy Now to the 7-8 a.m. time slot and the
Morning Show from 8-10 a.m. (and eliminating the 6-7 a.m. Democracy Now
broadcast).

I have a prior commitment this weekend I *can*not* get out of and will
not be there to cast a vote on this motion, nor on a substitute motion
submitted last night to send the issue back to the Program Council for
more research.

The KPFA web worker has added a form to the station board's Web site
that allows comment to be sent directly to KPFA station board members:

http://www.kpfa.org/lsb/index.php?page=contact

You can scroll down to the bottom of the page, fill out the form, and it
is automatically sent to all 25 members of the KPFA board.

I think it would be helpful if KFCF board members and subscribers let
the KPFA board know what they think either way, especially since KFCF
was not, at that time, included in the discussion of the time change (we
*now* have representation on the KPFA station board AND inclusion
Program Council discussion).

So please drop a line with your thoughts, pro or con, on the possible
time change for Democracy Now!

thanks,
Debbie Speer
KFCF Rep to KPFA Station Board