[KFCF Friends] KFCF News

subs at mail.kfcf.org subs at mail.kfcf.org
Sun Aug 22 23:10:46 PDT 2004

<>While the doldrums of a Fresno summer may be upon us, we've been busy
planning a number of events at KFCF. We have a folk music benefit this
Friday, the annual banquet with Larry Bensky in October, Foundation
elections, and some great radio, including extensive alternative
coverage both inside and outside the Republican National Convention in
New York. Plus we're working on extending our KFCF archives to cover
more than the past 24 hours.
Details on these items below. - Rych Withers
KFCF BENEFIT
Friday August 27th at 7:30 PM

Paul and Elenore

PAUL KAMM and ELANORE MACDONALD  "Neo-impressionist folk music"

Review from "Sing Out":

/Paul Kamm and Eleanore MacDonald have been married and performing
together for 20 years. This delightful couple are writers and singers of
"neo-impressionist folk music". Eleanore describes them as an "opinionated
redhead and a diplomatic cohort". they live in the same town as Utah
Phillips in Northern California. Anti-war/peace activists, vocal
dissenters and strong supporters of animal rights, they have no trouble
finding topics for songs.

Paul and Eleanore have produced 7 CD's while traveling nationally. Their
style is comprised of simple, graceful tunes, quiet vocals and lyrics
that attract and hold any audience. Their harmonies are their trademark.
They can sing separately or meld perfectly.

They are a bit of a national secret despite having become a Kerrville
New Folk winner in 1997, and a Telluride Troubadour and Rocky Mountain
New Folks Showcase winner for two consecutive years. It is hard to
believe that such beautiful voices and calm demeanors can be applied on
Fool's Paradise to such tough songs as "Josephine", about America
marching like "self righteous crusaders again" after September 11th, and
"Rebel Son" who is asked "what have you found that would make you lay
your body down?"./

So be sure to join KFCF for this very special fundraiser in Pat Wolk's
beautiful Garden. For more info call KFCF at (559)233-2221. Tickets are
a $20 donation at The Movies Video Store,  Patrick's Music, National
Hardware, the KFCF Office or from Pat Wolk (431-3653)

FFCF welcomes new Board Member Waldo Porter

The FFCF Board welcomes Walt Porter to our Board to fill out the term of
Nick DeGraff. Thanks to Nick for any and all efforts he expended on
behalf of KFCF and  the Foundation during his tenure on the Board.
Walt is well known and respected in Fresno's African American community
and you probably already know him as a host on KFCF's Valley Politics on
Monday afternoons. We're sure that Walt will bring many valuable
contributions to our Board and Foundation. Welcome!

FFCF/KFCF Annual Banquet - Mark your calendars and PDA's

Sunday October 24th from 5 to 9 PM at Love and Garlic in Fresno with
Special Guest "Sunday Salon's Larry Bensky". More details soon.

*2004 ELECTION CALENDAR*

Background:

There will be four Fresno Free College Foundation board terms that
expire December 31, 2004. Those are currently held by Gerry Bill, Mark
Hernandez, Sue Kern, and Leni Reeves. Adequate time must be made
available to announce elections for those seats, members to seek
nomination, campaigning and balloting.

August 2 (Monday): A cart shall be produced and programmers will be
encouraged to announce that persons interested in running for a board
seat may begin submitting nomination papers on Sept. 15, with
information and papers available for distribution beginning on this date.

September 15 (Wednesday): Opening date to accept nominating papers at
FFCF office.

October 15 (Friday): Close of nominating period.

October 16 - 22: Verification of nomination requirements and printing of
ballot materials.

October 27 (Wednesday) - Ballots to be mailed.

November 1 (Monday): Campaigning and ballot begin.

November 30 (Tuesday): Campaigning and balloting ends. No late postmarks
will be accepted.

December 10 (Friday): Ballots counted by CPA Sharmayne Shikora.

December 21 (Tuesday): Challenges must be made to Board of Directors
before or at this meeting or certify election, with present seats not to
expire until next board is seated.

Second Tuesday in January: New board members may be seated.

The KFCF archives currently  cover the last 24 hours of programming.
We're putting the final touches on the software code to expand the
length of the archives storage and to eliminate the short gap between
segments. Tech guru Tim Pozar says the recording code is working and has
been uploaded to the server and that the next step is to redesign the
archive page to allow users to select more than the last 24 hours.
Planned RNC Coverage (times subject to change)
Inside or Outside  Madison Square Garden, Pacifica Radio will be
providing alternative coverage you'll get nowhere else. Catch it on KFCF
88.1 FM.

NEW YORK CITY DEMONSTRATIONS
August 29
11am - 5pm EST
What may turn out to be one of the largest and hardest fought
demonstrations in the streets of New York, in anticipation of the
Republican National Convention.

<> REPUBLICAN CONVENTION COVERAGE
August 30 - September 2nd
By a compendium of Pacifica news & production teams including:  <>
Democracy Now!
Republican Convention Coverage
August 30 - September 3

Democracy Now! expanded, two-hours daily coverage of Republican National
Convention. The program will be produced as two stand-alone hours.

Free Speech Radio News Republican Convention Coverage
August 30 - September 2nd
Times and locations as regularly scheduled FSRN feeds

Special FSRN coverage bringing up-to-the minute news in coordination
with the other Pacifica reporting teams.

  <>
Pacifica Radio's National Republican Convention Coverage
August 30 - Sept. 2nd
6:30 -9 PM PST

Hosted by Davey D, Pacifica National Affairs Correspondent Larry Bensky
and Pacifica Washington Bureau Chief Verna Avery-Brown host with guest
reporters, including Robert Knight from WBAI, Caroline Casey from the
Visionary Activist Show on KPFA and KPFK, and more. Guests from the
convention, national call-in show for the last hour. Also, regular
updates on on-going demonstrations in the streets of New York City.
Guests from the convention, national call-in show for the last hour.

  <>
What's At Stake
September 1
7am - 8am PST

In-depth critique and analysis of the issues and personalities shaping
the political landscape during Presidential and Congressional election
time. A weekly news journal hosted by veteran journalist Verna
Avery-Brown with thought-provoking commentaries from talk show host
Terry D. Kester.

  <>
The Visionary Activist Show
September 2
2pm - 3pm PST

Caroline Casey discusses ways to envision real change with activists
from all over the world in multifaceted disciplines. A Washington
insider, she opens up phones for listener dialogue on the current
administration, going for the "big picture" of what our world is really
like and how we can make transformation to ways we want the world to be.

  <>
Flashpoints Republican Convention Coverage
August 30 - September 2nd
5pm - 6pm PST

Special focus on the Latino vote, which is likely to greatly influence
the outcome of the presidential election, if not determine it.
Exploration of the demands of Latino voters and how legislators are
trying to educate themselves culturally on how to meet those demands.
Access to and guests from the Hispanic Caucus will provide behind the
scenes coverage.

August 29 - November 2nd,
Pacifica Radio's 2004 Election Coverage Web Site
On-going news for download on program site
http://pacifica.org/programs/election2004/