[KFCF Friends] KFCF Update

subs at kfcf.org subs at kfcf.org
Sun Jun 29 23:46:10 PDT 2003

KFCF Programming Updates:

VALLEY POLITICS - SPECIAL EDITION
A special live broadcast  of Valley Politics will take place on Monday, June
30th from 8 to 10 pm - The State of the Black Church in the Central Valley -
featuring pastors from various churches and people from the community.  The
program is hosted by Woody Miller, Marc Scalzo and Mel Sanders, and will
originate from the Board of Supervisors chambers in Fresno County Hall of
Records in downtown Fresno. The meeting is open to the public.
This is the first in a series of six live broadcasts of community meetings
dealing with issues in the African-American community.  The special programs
are scheduled for the last Monday of each month from 8 to 10 pm.

UPCOMING KPFA SPECIALS:

Beginning Monday, 1-2 pm, July 7, and continuing through Monday, August 25:
"Reconnecting with Ourselves." In these stressful times, ideas for how we
stay balanced and healthy. From New Dimensions Radio, the voices, insights,
and guidance of philosophers, healers, sages.

Friday, July 4
KPFA looks into America's true freedoms and investigates the erosion of
civil liberties through day-long programming:

12 noon - 1 pm AND 5pm - 6 pm:    Highlights will feature "State of the
Union," a gathering that took place on June 29 of authors and activists on
the Bush Administration's impact on domestic and world policies.  Featured
speakers: Norman Soloman, Dennis Bernstein, Elizabeth Chavez, Ishmael Reed.

1 - 2 pm  "Meat Independence". An investigative look into the barbecue
frenzy that cooks our atmosphere and our health on American holidays,
followed by "Code Red" which examines the U.S. Constitution, its
misapplication, and the erosion of our civil liberties.  Produced by The
National Radio Project.

2 - 3 pm The Radio Chronicles features rare archival audio footage of six
20th century presidents who talk about what they did in our name, for better
and for worse.

Sunday, August 3 (last day of our mini-summer fund drive)
7 - 10 pm   Joe Frank: The Dictator.  An extended 3-hour feature of original
radio drama.  (the previous listing for this date, posted earlier re: "The
Burning Man Diaries" will be moved to a later date).

Sunday, July 5
5-6 pm (Earthsongs is pre-empted)
KPFA's Drama and Literature Department broadcasts LABORFEST live from City
Lights Bookstore in San Francisco, featuring Hands and Hearts - Poetry of
the Working Class.  One of the many features of the month long celebration
of the labor movement and workers of the world.

July 28 through August 3
Pacifica Radio Network-wide summer fund drive.  Specials to be announced
later