[KFCF Friends] KFCF Event: Gatherin' of The Okies

subs-admin@kfcf.org subs-admin@kfcf.org
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:21:56 -0700

Springtime Gatherin'
"To celebrate the Rites of Spring and all the pretty flowers"

April 29, 2001 the Okies will gather again at Club Fred to benefit listener
supported free speech radio, KFCF 88.1 FM during its' 25th Anniversary Year.
This will also be the first Gatherin' that will be broadcast on the radio.
The hootenanny will commence at 3:00 p.m. with free food and music and the
radio broadcast will start at 8:00 p.m. and run until 11:00 p.m.  The early
afternoon will start with solo artists performing folk music then moves into
bands featuring Cowpunk, Traditional Country,  Rock-a-Billy and Post
Eclectic Neo-Americana Goth-a-billy music.  In between acts KFCF will raffle
off some great premiums. Admission is FREE. 21 and over only, please!

Artist performing at the Gatherin' will be:

Dave Dake  (Neo-Contemporary Folk Music)
Officer Mike Smith (Contemporary Folk Music)
Bradley J. Rogers (Cosmic Americana Music)
Terrill Cross (Traditional Country)
Wichitas (Cowpunk from Bakersfield)
Hot On the Trail (Traditional Country)
Cattie Ness & The Revenge (Rock-A-Billy)
RPB  (Post Eclectic Neo-Americana Goth-a-billy)

The Gatherin' of The Okies is an ol' time Okie potluck so guests are
encouraged to bring depression era food.  Meat and green beans will be
provided and hopefully Forrest will bring his famous possum casserole.
There's no cover charge so come on down for a free afternoon of Okie fun and
Okie pride.  It's more fun than a Saturday Nite Bath.

Gatherin' Bios

Dave Dake (Neo-Contemporary Folk Music)

Many miles of bad road have formed this boy's heart and soul!  But the bumps
in the road have given him the ability to wrought words in to picturesque
portraits of his subjects.  From the original compositions about quest of
Capt. Ahab for the great white whale, hiking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
to the beauty of woman's smile.  Compared to Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens
and John Denver, Dave's Neo-contemporary folk music is worthy of just
settin' down and listening to.

Officer Mike Smith (Contemporary Folk Music)

One of the reasons the Fresno area is a safer place to live is because Mike
Smith is walkin' the beat.  A veteran of the Fresno PD and the Fresno club
scene Mike smooth dramatically subtle voice and peaceful guitar style and
communicates the words of Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristopherson and John Prine.
There's nothing more relaxing and soothing then sippin a brew while Michael
plays.  Just be careful how much you take in because you might meet up with
him after the show and I don't think he would be as pleasant.

Bradley J. Rogers (Cosmic Americana Music)

Bradley's music is called "Cosmic Americana Music".  His original songs are
deeply rooted in the traditions of cosmic American music, outlaw country and
traditional American music.  From romantic, songs about history, life and
God, Bradley expounds his words from a strong heart and mind.  Influenced by
all things American, Bradley blends country, rock, folk, Latin and faith in
God into music to preserve the Okie / Hillbilly traditions of his roots.

Terrill Cross (Honky Tonk Country)

Thank God for people like Terrill Cross.  Terrill take you back to a time
with Country music was the raw, honest music of the people.  Terrill
performs traditional Honky Tonk songs with style and precision.  His deep
honest voice communicates the songs of Merle Haggard, Faron Young, Buck
Owens and Hank Snow.  If y'all ain't tappin' your feet when Terrill and his
outfit are on then stage then you're dead.   Yee Haw!

Wichitas (Cowpunk)

>From the California home of country music, Bakersfield, these Nashville West
boys blend music in into something that can only be called, Truck Stop Pop.
>From Greetings to Adios the Wichitas proudly show their Okie heritage.  From
pickin' oranges to bustin' sod were glad to welcome them to our little
family.  Deeply rooted in the traditions of the valley and making their
debut at the Gatherin' doin' what they do best, playin' live.

Hot On The Trail  (Traditional Country)

Veteran's of the Gatherin' startin' off as a duo called Pat & Mike these
fellers and gals keep alive the music of greats like Johnny Horton and Marty
Robbins.  The best thing about this band is just watchin' their faces as
they have fun playin' Country standards of the 50's and 60's.  You can't
miss Hot On The Trail.  Even if ya ain't from Okie stock this band will make
you want to Okie Boogie down the road.

Cattie Ness & The Revenge (Traditional Rock-a-billy)

It all started when Cattie grabbed two kittens by the neck, a down and out
guitar player and an fledgling drummer, in a bedroom and gave them the will
to succeed.  Now after 6 years Cattie Ness & The Revenge has turned into a
crack musical outfit capable of pulling of any traditional or original song
they choose.  In the footsteps of the Maddox Bros. & Rose, Cattie Ness can
best be described as the "World's Most Colorful Rock-A-Billy Band.  They
ain't bad to look at either.

RPB (Post Eclectic Neo-Americana Goth-A-Billy)

Hum?  How do you describe this music?  The only think I can say is come on
out the Gatherin' and see for yourself.  This band, headed by Roger Perry,
takes the music of the likes of Kris Kristopherson, Johnny Cash and Leonard
Cohen and makes it, it's own.   With lighthearted darkness RPB will make you
think while it is entertaining.   RPB has got to be seen to believed.  So
come on out to the Gatherin' and see them, durn it!

Many of the artists featured performing at Springtime Gatherin' are on the
newly formed Roper Records.  A label dedicated to the preservation of
American music.  For more information on Roper Records check out their
website at www.roperrecords.com or e-mail us at roperrecords@hotmail.com.

The Gatherin' of The Okies was formed in 1997 to bring attention to the rich
Country Music heritage that the San Joaquin Valley has.  It is the official
Gatherin' of Fresno's Alternative Country musicians. It is brought to you by
Bradley J. Rogers, Roger Perry, Rebecca Caraveo, Colleen Carter.   Club Fred
is located at 1426 N. Van Ness in Fresno, CA, between McKinley and Olive in
the Tower District